Sunday, July 10, 2011

Gorilla Bread

So this morning I woke up grumpy as all get out. I decided that the only thing that was going to make me happy was if I started cooking. So this morning I made monkey bread. Complete with pictures for your viewing pleasure :D

I don't know what my computer is doing, but it said the pictures weren't actually on my computer after I uploaded them so these are unedited from my phone. Sorry!!!

So I took a couple recipes from online and made them my own. I got the dough here (baking bites) and the topping here (pioneer woman). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post their recipes in here, so just go there and find it!

I added honey to the dough, just a squirt, because I think that yeast works better with a little sugar. Everything (and everyone) likes a little suga' hehe!

Our house is COLD in the morning! We leave the windows open at night and needless to say, it is not the ideal dough rising situation first thing in the morning! So while I was making the dough I preheated the oven to 200ยบ and then when the dough was mixed I turned off the oven and put it in. It wasn't too hot to cook it but warm enough to get the most amazing rise ever! Oh, and don't forget to grease your bowl...it will stick!

If you're anything like me and you have a hard time with yeasty breads actually rising, take a moment to ooh and ahh over your bread. It's going to be amazing. Knead it a few times and think to yourself, "Dang, I did such a good job!"



Tear the dough into small bits and flatten. Then grab a little piece of cream cheese (use a knife if you're a wimp) and slap it in the middle. Then roll it up and stick it on the counter.



The recipe I used made about 35 dough balls, and almost an entire package of cream cheese.


In a gallon size bag mix the cinnamon and sugar like the pioneer woman recipe says and toss the dough inside. Be careful not to squish any of the balls too much, you don't want to squish the cream cheese out!! You'll have extra cinnamon sugar at the end, but that's okay. Just save it to put on top of toast!! 


You're supposed to use a bundt pan, but I don't have one so I tried a loaf pan. Yeah, you should try two loaf pans or something else. Or a bundt pan haha! On top of the dough balls goes a mixture of butter and sugar (and the little left over bit of cream cheese). It boils over so you have to put a pan under. A smart idea would have been to line the pan with aluminum foil so I don't have to figure out how to scrub all that caramelized sugar off of it!


I HATE OUR OVEN! It burns everything, no matter the temperature, the height of the racks, the time I cook it, or anything! But yeah, it's okay. It's only the top that burnt.



Anyway, that is it. I loved the look on Ian's face when he bit in. He thought it was GRAND!! And it is!!

1 comment: