Friday, August 26, 2011

Banana Cake

So good!! Dang, I am delighted. I scarfed two pieces before work. 


The directions say to put it in a freezer after you bake it but I didn't have room in my freezer or time to do it. But all the reviews say that it is a great idea. Ok, all the reviews I read...okay, the two I read hahaha. Anyway, if you make this, try the freezer step and let me know how it goes!


I've copied this from the website Allrecipes, but I'll paste it here with the things I did differently.



Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 2 1/8 cups white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (buttermilk substitute)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas

  • Glaze: (A recipe for pound cake glaze I found)
  • 1 cup Powdered Sugar
  • 3 tbsp. Milk
  • 3 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. In a small bowl, mix mashed bananas with lemon juice, set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Stir in banana mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Mine took about an extra 20 minutes but I hate my oven!
  4. For the glaze: melt butter, add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla together and whisk until smooth. Pour over HOT cake. 

And I didn't do the dries with the dry ingredients and then alternately add them with the buttermilk. I didn't mash the bananas either, I like them a little chunkier so I just broke them up. I used 3 large bananas. I have no idea how much that works out to. 

It is so divine. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you bake so much!! You are going to be such a great Mom someday. Ian is such a lucky guy, Zane wouldn't know where his wife had gone if I baked as much as you. You are an inspiration;). One day, maybe I'll be as good of a wife as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet! I just love having a kitchen to cook in, and it's fun to come up with new things! I hope ave. we have kids I'll still be able to bake as much. I want to be the mom that makes fresh cookies for when my kids get off the bus with all their friends haha!

    ReplyDelete